Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Plymouth to Cornwall to Plymouth

    August 4, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Off we go this morning on our cruise on the Plymouth Sound. Very relaxing and saw and heard about the area.

    We heard about the Scott Memorial which honours Robert Falcon Scott. He became a naval officer, and subsequently led the British Antarctic Expedition of 1910–13 in search of the South Pole. The members of his team were Lawrence Oates, Henry Bowers, Edgar Evans and Edward Wilson. The team reached the pole in January 1912 only to learn that Norwegian Roald Amundsen and his team had beaten them to it, arriving there one month earlier in December 1911. On the journey home Scott and all his men perished.

    We also saw some decommissioned submarines waiting to be pulled apart after their reactors cool down.

    Finished our cruise then back on the bus to travel to Cornwall. Beautiful countryside - green, green and more green. It’s about a 2 hr drive but with all the traffic it took about 2.5 hrs.

    We went to St. Ives where we could see St. Michael’s Mount. This is a tidal island in Mount’s Bay, Cornwall.
    The rocky island of St Michael’s Mount is crowned by a medieval castle and church. Inside are historic buildings. On the outside is a subtropical garden where you have spectacular views of the bay. At high tide you can take a boat trip from the mainland across to the island harbour; at low tide you can walk across the ancient cobbled causeway.

    Freezing when we left Plymouth but quite pleasant in St. Ives.

    Then we spent the afternoon in St. Ives where we enjoyed a toastie for lunch followed by a scone with jam and clotted cream between us.

    I tried to convince Clarke to hire out the bike in the picture and I could ride around in the front of it. He didn’t find that amusing.

    Back on the bus to head back to Plymouth. We are almost back and next minute the bus stops on the side of the road. ‘Houston we have a problem’ - they said it was an electrical problem but it sounded like gearbox. Clarke tells everyone they have to get out and push 😂😂 Who knows what the problem was but they eventually got it going and away we go. The slowest trip back to the hotel - much better than walking though. Took us 3 hours so we were all tired and hungry.

    We trotted off to a pub not far from us but their restaurant was closed. So we come back to the hotel and decided to treat ourselves and went to the hotel restaurant called Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar and Grill. Omg the meal was really nice along with the pint of Spanish Lager.

    I have posted photos from today below.
    Read more