Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Calle to Santiago de Compostela - pt one

    April 27 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    After a night of sulking about that dickhead and trying to make logistic decisions I was too tired for, I had a stern back and forth with myself about bucking up (there was a compelling counter argument which involved pointing out we could HEAR the rain on the roof already) then swung into it. I was just going to walk and see what happened. That sentence would have never ever been said by pre-Camino me.

    The rips in my shoes are letting the water in, and I can't afford any more distance in wet feet so I set about Art Attacking the insides with duct tape. I slapped some on the outside too but I knew it wouldn't hold given they're dirty. Sure enough it popped off after about a kilometre but the stuff inside did the job nicely.

    It rained gently pretty much the entire time. Apart from the crowds (school trips have joined now, amaaaazing) and the commercialisation and the undercurrent of local resentment, this stretch is just not that pretty or interesting either. Sections today skirted huge highways and an airport, there were eucalyptus everywhere, it was odd and disengaging other than the wayfinding pole measurements ticking down.

    Despite this, spirits were quite high, probably due to sugar - I've started shotgunning flans while I walk.

    But seriously, if you have limited time/patience/ability and are looking to give the Camino under a week, spend it literally anywhere else than Sarria to Santiago. It is without a doubt the worst section.
    Read more