Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 409

    Back in Airlie Beach

    July 17, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    After leaving Whitsunday Island, we headed north to our first snorkel spot of the day at Hook Island Reef. There we introduced ourselves to George and Georgina, two huge Maori Wrasse well known to the locals. We also saw several large bat fish, loads of small reef fish, numerous black giant trevally, and a huge flowery cod. Bonus event...while we were waiting for the last few swimmers to get back to the boat, we began seeing blow from several humpback whales! They didn't get close to us and it's illegal to chase after them, but we could still see the humps breaching the surface. Incredible!!

    We moved on to what was supposed to be a second snorkel stop, but the bay was jam packed with boats and no one was very keen on going. So, we moved in to the sandy spit of Langford Island for a magnificent sunset and moonrise. Just stunning.

    We spent the evening birthed near Hook Island and had another great night with new friends.

    We were up again at 07:00 and most of the folks were soon snorkeling in the nearby cove. I passed again. Although the fish were awesome, the corals are badly damaged from 2017's Cyclone Debbie. Overall, it's not a great snorkel location, but I kept that sentiment to myself since some of the group were brand new to snorkeling.

    After that, we pretty much headed straight back to Airlie Beach. Again, we put up the main sail and the front sail, but never turned off the engines. It was disappointing to go on a sailboat and not sail, but the rest of the trip was terrific.

    Now, I'm catching up on virtual life and just about to get some lunch. Life ITRW is sweet as!!

    So long [for now] and thanks for all the fish. ✌️
    Read more