Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 195

    Great Smoky Mountains HOG Rally Day 2

    September 30, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    What a great day yesterday! When we left Bryson City, the six of us continued east to Cherokee. We stopped at the HD merchandise store, then spent a little time in the Qualla Arts and Crafts Center. They sell authentic Cherokee-made arts and crafts, like baskets, wood carvings, and pottery.

    We backtracked a little bit west, then started the Cherohala Skyway in the Nantahala National Forest. Although it isn't as difficult a ride as the Tail, it is a beautiful run with lots of overlooks. Great road!!!

    We had dinner by our hotel and called it a night around 21:00. It wasn't a long day of writing, but it was a lot of technical writing, so we were all pretty beat.

    But not beat enough to want to do it again today! Five of us (Kevin rode with some other friends) left the hotel at 09:00 and headed northwest to do the Devil's Triangle. [More info:
    https://devilstriangletn.com/] It may be short, but it is full of switchbacks, twists, and turns! Yay!

    We did the route counterclockwise based on a recommendation from a guy at Bootlegger HD where we stopped this morning on the way up. We came across only one accident. The solo rider was fine, but the bike's nose was slammed into the hillside in the middle of a tight turn. I think he was mostly embarrassed.

    Now we've taken a break at Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary with about 500 other bikers 🤣. It has quite an interesting history, https://tourbrushy.com/history, and is probably most well known for housing James Earl Ray who murdered Martin Luther King, Jr.

    Another great day to ride!!

    So long [for now], and thanks for all the fish! ✌️

    Day 194 mileage: 236.6 (total 54364.8)
    Read more