Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Raven Rock Rd / Waynesboro 1064.3

    July 7, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    So, this was supposed to be our first normal day since hiking in to Harper's Ferry. So getting up early worked and we planned to do about 20 miles to another shelter because more rain was supposed to come.
    After a few miles into the trail there was a campground upcoming. When hiking by we saw that there was even a shower!! So we took the chance and had breakfast and a hot shower there :) This normal thing now feels like a luxury. Another few miles later came the Washington Monument dedicated to George Washington. The AT led up to this building passing signs with milestones of his life. The monument itself wasn't that impressive and it was too foggy to see anything. At the Visitor Center we had a short break where I chatted with the volunteer that works there. He is the local chief of the democratic party and has relatives in Switzerland and Germany.
    After the first 10 miles went pretty good we thought about going to Waynesboro, which would make it more than 25 miles. We set our deadline to 6 PM at the last Shelter, otherwise we'd stay there. Maybe an hour later we got a message from Corn Chip that he has got a hotel room in Waynesboro with a spare bed. So we wouldn't even have to camp at Walmart...
    Shortly before it started to get dark we came to an area at the descent which was extremely hard and rocky. We already feared that we have to climb it down in a night hike which would have turned into a nightmare. But we managed to arrive down at our destination just before it got dark!!

    On our way into the town we were lucky to get a hitch after about 1.5 miles. After resupplying in Walmart we went to the hotel where a neat room was waiting for us. Happy that we achieved our goal we went to sleep.
    Read more