Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 91

    Race Brook Falls Campsite 1510.8

    August 2, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    We were awaken early by a crow screaming right next to our tent. We had an extended breakfast at the Toymakers Cafe before we went back on the trail. There we just hiked for a few minutes and then got a necessary shower at a power plant. It took us until 9 to actually start making miles...
    On the way to the 1500 miles mark we met a gardner who was friendly. After a bit of smalltalk I remembered Julias rash and asked him. He confirmed that it is poison ivy. Nothing to joke about but still better than other guesses, like tick bites or chiggers. So it was kind of a relief.
    On the way up to the Lion's head (there are longer up and down parts now again) Jon and Claus passed us. They were going about the same pace so they decided to make a hiking couple, at least for the day. You could hear the rumbling of a thunderstorm from the nearby clouds but it seems to be just a bit.
    On the way down it suddenly started to pour and besides getting soaked the trail went pretty bad. So we needed to climb down steep, slippery rocks. It felt quite dangerous although the pictures don't look like. But we were relieved when the rain decreased and we moved into less rocky and steep terrain. We managed to make it until a nice little campsite. There we met "not sure" and had a great time chatting before heading to bed at hikers midnight.
    Read more