Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 93

    Upper Goose Pond Cabin 1548.1

    August 4, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    After a late start on the trail it started raining at about 11 and turned into a downpour. We decided that it doesn't make sense to have lunch in the rain and to shoot for Tyringham. By the time we got there we were super hungry and not sure if the food we have lasts until Dalton. We asked an older couple that we met on the way for directions and if they knew if there is anything like a Cafe or deli in the town. Apparently we must have looked pretty bad because they gave us a bag of pretzels and two yogurts :) At the post office was a hiker box where we found another bag of pretzels and some oatmeals. Lucky us!
    After enjoying our lunch, we enjoyed the perks of the internet to catch up with some things. Jon also arrived at the post office an hour after us. He was looking pretty bad, a wound at his leg got worse, he was exhausted and didn't eat anything yet. So we gave him some pretzels and supported him with information/directions to Lee, Massachusetts. He headed there to rest, do laundry and get a proper meal.

    In the afternoon we had quite a nice and easy hike to the Upper Goose Pond Cabin. That's a cabin close to a lake with opportunities to swim and canoeing. There are also bunk beds with mattresses but by the time we got there, they were already full so we set up the tent near the lake. Then we went for a great, refreshing swim in the lake. The water was pleasant and it felt good to give our bodies a different kind of movement. For dinner there was "Suddenly Pasta salad" on the menu that we found in the hiker box. Don't do it!! Its probably not as bad when it's cold, but as a pasta dish it's awful!!
    Read more