Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 94

    Kay Wood Shelter 1565.7

    August 5, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    We had an amazing morning at the Upper Goose Pond Cabin with a freshly brewed hot coffee and blueberry pancakes - classic with butter and maple syrup. This really gave us the energy necessary to make it to the "Cookie Lady" about 11 miles later. According to the thru hiker guide she "puts often cookies outside for hikers" and we hoped for that for lunch. And we were lucky even though she wasn't home her grandson took care of the hikers. He brought cookies and sold sodas and ice cream.
    On the way to there we came by a special place. It was a really moving moment when we crossed the I90 a busy interstate leading from Boston to New York State. We've been at exactly this point half a year ago when we drove to the Niagara Falls. We saw the sign back then and it was cool but now we know what it means. This journey that is behind the "Appalachian Trail" and that's not over yet. We were there in the warmth and comfort of the car, now the opposite on our feet.

    After a two hour break at the "Cookie Lady" and some blueberry picking we went back on the trail to finish the day. The Shelter we stayed at is just about three miles away from Dalton, so perfect to hike in for breakfast :)
    Read more