Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Camping on top Bromley Mountain 1653.7

    August 10, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We've finally had a dry night and slept well so it was easy to get up early. The Campsite we've stayed at is at the bottom of Mt Stratton so we had a climb of 1800 ft directly in the morning. Prepared for the worst - muddy, steep uphills - we were surprised by an easy hike with just a little elevation change. So we arrived at the summit earlier than expected and had a beautiful view over the Green Mountains from the firetower.
    The hike continued to be pretty easy after lunch. On a woods road we were passed by two fellow hikers who went to Manchester, a town more than 5 miles off the trail. Even though we needed some supplies (we ran out of tortillas today and also not much for breakfast) we had planned to make it to Killington with the stuff we have. But they told us that there is a shortcut on blue blazes into town which leads you in two miles there. So we decided to go there to be safe to make it to Killington. The only problem was that we ended up in the suburbs and it was another two miles to the center with all the groceries. Luckily we got free internet in front of a motel and we googled that there is a farm stand nearby. It was a bit more expensive but we got freshly baked bread and some peaches. We treated ourselves with a Maple syrup creamy, some kind of homemade soft ice.
    The way back to the trailhead was another 4 miles of road walking but luckily we got a hitch after about two miles. The last part of the day was a hike up to Bromley Mountain where we planned to stay in a ski hut. But as we arrived there it was pretty dirty and smelly so we preferred setting up the tent. The reward for our efforts was a scenic view over the area and an amazing sunset. Eventually we're going to get up for the sunrise ;)
    Read more