Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Sea of Galilea and Acre

    November 27, 2019 in Israel ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    In the morning we went first back to the Church of the Annunciation because we couldn't get inside the previous day. It wasn't as interesting on the inside as the outside. Afterwards we had a quick drive up to a viewpoint but the view was rather underwhelming. The next stop on our tour was the Sea of Galilea with the biggest city Tiberias. We walked a bit along the promenade and then moved to the other stops along the Sea:
    - The Church of the Multiplication of Bread
    - Capernaum
    - Greek Orthodox Church
    They are quite close together so we saw the sights and by midday we drove on in direction of Safed, where there was supposed to be another Crusaders Castle but we didn't find it but we also didn't try very hard :D In the early afternoon we arrived in Akko, a charming little port town that used to be the capital of the Crusader State. It has a long and interesting story and one of the most Liberal Muslim cities in Israel.
    We went straight after our arrival to the walkway on the city walls to get an overview over the city. From there we visited the former headquarters of the Hospital Order. A similar branch like the Knights Templars but instead of the protection of the pilgrims they oriented on the housing and caring for them. The old city directly around the headquarters was restored and offered insights in the time from daily tasks, politics and culture. We spent more than two hours in there which is extraordinary for us in a museum.
    Afterwards we went straight to the port to see the sunset at the lighthouse. As soon as the sun set it got immediately pretty chilly but there was one more thing to see before going back to the hostel. The treasure tunnels of the Knights Templars. I've been fascinated by them since I was around fifteen years. I've read books on them and was curious about the things left behind. The tunnels were pretty cool, explaining about their history and for what they used the tunnel but also relatively short.

    For a proper end of the day we sat down on the rooftop terrace and enjoyed a beer with a view all over the city.
    Read more