Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Ticking off our Safari Bucket List Pt. 3

    September 26, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    So the only things that were still missing on our Bucket List were a lion with a mane and a drinking giraffe. We would see three lions with manes in total. One was chilling on a river bank with his girlfriend, the other two were outcasts. When a pride of lions have an alpha male, it usually scares other males away to secure its spot in the pride. Often times, two brothers would then make a coalition to survive without a pride.
    Oh and yes, in English, there are a lot of funny words for a group of animals. There is a Dazzle of Zebras (because they are so dazzling, standing together?), a Journey of Giraffes, a Pack of Hyenas, a School of Wales and a Pride of Lions.
    What we also saw - what we didn't expect to need on our Bucketlist - were especially cute Hyena Cups. They were hidden on the one side whilst their pack chilled out on the other side of the road. It seemed as if they were posing for the tourists, so that their cups could sleep in peace. And luckily, we were the only ones to sight them!
    We arrived at the end of the park, watching the sun set, and haven't seen a Drinking Giraffe. However, I reckon it was another brilliant Safari drive.
    Our Lodge for the next two days was the Greenfire Lodge in Hazyview which was situated in yet another Private Reserve with Nyalas in it. It also has an honesty bar, where you can choose a drink, put your name on it and pay when checking out. But to everyone's liking, it also had a Wi-Fi router, which was used gratefully of my colleagues. To be quite honest, I didn't like to be on the phone again. I really enjoyed the time offline. No worries, no problems, no communication. I didn't feel the need to talk to anyone. I just send a quick "I'm alive" message to Seb, so he wouldn't worry. That was it. I put my phone away and much rather talked to Takalani about him, his country and experiences.
    Read more