Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Arriving in portugal

    October 23, 2021 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    This morning we woke up early from our secure parking lot in Ronda and to our disappointment Diego had died in the night, we were both devastated and very upset. Russ took him out of his home which was a beer box and made a blanket of paper towels and then put him in a smaller box and sealed it with waterproof tape. We cleaned up his blankets that he had been sleeping on, broke down his beer box house and gave it to the binmen who were outside and then we put him on the back shelve ready for our long drive ahead and his final resting place.
    Today we were heading to Portugal and we had 230 miles to go before we met up with Ellie’s mum and dad in there holiday home in alcantarilha.
    After a quick fuel stop and some negotiating of the first toll booth on the way in to Portugal we arrived at 12:30pm Portugal time, so we had gained an hour. As soon as we arrived, Colin, Ellies dad got a shovel and dug a small hole under some trees and we put Diego inside in his box and buried him.
    We had only had him a week, but he had left a big hole in our hearts and Wanda seemed very quiet without him. But we knew we had done very thing in our power to help him and he was certainly comfortable and loved in the time that we had him. We felt happier knowing that we had loved him for that short time, he had met our friends on the road. Ben had seen him on facetime and for a little kitten he will be remembered in 3 countries, was loved by everyone that had seen him and has left a lasting legacy in all our hearts and he will always be remembered whenever anyone visits the Portugal house.
    For the rest of the day we just relaxed, had a swim in the pool had a lovely spaghetti bolognaise for dinner and went to bed at 9pm absolutely shattered.
    Read more