Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Lofoten - Henningsvær

    September 18, 2021 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    Today we left the Island Andøya to head to the famous Lofoten Islands. We had to retrace some of our steps to get off the island and then on to the next.
    After the last magnificent days I wondered: had we strung up our trip from the wrong side and started with the highlights? What was going to top that?
    Well, it took about 1 bridge over to Lofoten and 3 turns to realize the hype around this island. What we had seen every third or fourth bay or turn on the other islands literally jumped at us at every turn here:
    Turquoise blue bays with sprinkles of yellowish algae (at low tide) or rocks that looked like a cake decorator had placed them into the scenery (at high tide).
    White sandy beaches, mountainsides in fire orange and yellows and the sharp edged mountains rising up like Stegosaurus plates out of the ocean.
    We also saw our first eagles this morning, adding to the wildlife of reindeers, a seal, of course the whales, as well as the park animals the bear, elk, lynx and polar fox.
    Our first stop was the „most incredible soccer field of the world“, well actually the town Henningsvær. Marketed as the „Venice of the Lofoten“… But - honest opinion- the soccer place was really the best part. Like Michealangelo had chisled it out of the scenery it drops like a giant green bathtub in the very end of the longish peninsula the town sits on. The same cake decorator sprinkled some rocks in the back, the fishing industry frames everything with fish drying racks and the cherry on top is the mandatory lighthouse at the tail end!
    Make sure you watch the video and you‘ll understand!
    After that we searched for a North facing spot for the night. After another amazing day with hours of no cloud in the sky we hoped it would hold up to see the Northern Lights…
    The spot with the white sands was perfect - but the cloud cover rolled in too solid to see anything.
    But Lennox had a blast! In the morning we did find ourselves with 4x as many neighbors as we started the night - lucky it’s not high season!
    We let Lennox run a few more rounds, collected some shells for Jeanette and I filled a trash bag with plastic trash from the beach and set off on our way…
    Read more