Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Wild Flowers Reunited

    January 10 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    Another couple of torturous bus rides and we made it to Bangkok just before Jess. Now the tour feels real and the excitement is building.
    We started the day dealing with the usual TukTuk opportunist. He was going to take us to the reclining Buddha and then drop us to the floating market....30Baht was the agreed price. He then took us straight to his Auntie who was selling boat trips. She quoted 4000Baht for something we never asked for. That would cover 1 weeks accommodation for us all.... we weren't going to float that much money down the river. He took us to a cheaper agent but we managed to jump out and walk away. He showed his disgust by roaring away rather like a petulant teenager on a moped! Just as well there's the river bus and the metro and even more reliable our feet, no more Tuk Tuks in Bangkok.
    Wat Arun presented itself like a picture postcard in front of us on the river bus, so we jumped off. What a great decision. The pride and joy of Thailand representing their royal family and Buddhist tradition was a spectacular experience. I don't think that Buddha would mind that I had a conversation with Jesus in that peaceful, inspiring space. I'm sure that they're buddies, if not even one and the same. Aren't we all?
    We then rather appropriately found the flower market and finally the reclining Buddha. However, by that stage, we were over stimulated and too cheap to pay to enter, so we just got a peek at the enormous gold feet.
    We recouped in our boarding school style room with a shower in the bedroom?! and then enjoyed the tastes of Bangkok, ending up in a craft beer weed bar with a hidden back sofa room. Perfect.
    On the search for our stage outfits today and then we're ready to rock Bangkok tomorrow!
    Read more