Satelit
Tampilkan pada peta
  • Hari 83–85

    Chaing Rai

    11 Maret, Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C

    The blue and white temples in Chaing Rai are mind-blowing in their beauty, in the statements that they make in this modern world.
    At 1st sight, the Blue Temple or Wat Rong Suea Ten appeared a little fickle, reminiscent of a Disney representation of a temple. However, on closer inspection, it is a very sophisticated masterpiece. The artwork is airbrushed, and the colour transitions are so subtle and reminiscent of the natural beauty of tropical birds and insects. The vivid blue and gold is the perfect background for the imposing but welcoming white Buddha statue inside.
    The White Temple or Wat Rong Khun is another level of breathtaking, thought-provoking, sometimes shocking beauty and took me to a profound, peaceful place. It is the ongoing masterpiece of Chalermchai Kositpipat and is set to be complete in 2070.
    The Temple structures are dazzling pure white in the bright blue sky, sparkling in the bright sun from the mirror mosaic 'sequins', representing wisdom, which adorn every surface.
    No photos are allowed inside the temple and to be frank, I didn't want to join the Instagrammers missing out on the experience just snapping away. There are plenty of photos online if you're interested, but I'll try to at least describe the inside
    Entrance to the ubosot is over a lake with a mass of hands reaching up to grab you. They represent the cravings and desires of this earthly life, the pull to seek transient happiness. Inside the ubosot building, your attention is immediately drawn to the glorious imagery of Buddha and enlightened souls. The back wall, however, represents modern earthly suffering. Plenty of gruesome images such as the attack on the twin towers are interspersed with objects of human admiration, including Michael Jackson, mobile phones, Superman, and Elvis. I assume that the idea is to remind us of the danger and futility of living to gain pleasure from these transient, meaningless idols. It reminded me that there always has been suffering on earth and there always will be. The life of each of us is so fleeting. At the time, any suffering seems permanent and unbearable, but it is not in our power to remove it. Learning to accept suffering and to focus on understanding and finding personal peace maybe the key to fulfilment. Imagine tourists in 200 years looking at that back wall and trying to understand what was so compelling about Elvis or devastating about the Twin Towers. I found huge significance in our insignificance, comfort in how negligible I am, which somehow fills me with a drive to share joy in the present moment.
    There was also an incredible cave that started out like a chaotic house of horrors and opened into a bright cave of peaceful splendour. I hope beyond hope that we will each reach such a place at the end of this life of earthly suffering. Not the artist's buddhist perspective, of course, merely my personal Christian belief.
    So, make your way to Chiang Rai, what an experience!
    Baca selengkapnya