Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Canyon roads

    August 13, 2020 in Bulgaria ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Plan and reality can sometimes be a little different. We were planning on crossing the high part of the Balkan mountain range on a main road early morning and then make a big detour West of Sofia to avoid the people and the traffic of the city.
    It all went according to plan until we got on that main road (after 7km only). It was so busy with fast cars and trucks, that we decided to take a different route. So we did some quick replanning and cycled in a Southeastern direction on secondary roads, passed a few villages and crossed the mountain range at a lower altitude further East. On that climb, we encountered exactly 7 cars in 1.5 hours :) The descent was awesome! A steep curvy road led towards Iskar canyon.
    The canyon itself is very impressive. However, cycling wasn't so much fun anymore from this point, as traffic was pretty heavy on the canyon road as well. Plus, it was rolling up and down and up and down which was VERY exhausting. Due to the lack of options, we also decided to go to a campground based in the outskirts of Sofia. It's actually quite nice with very friendly owners and right next to a metro station. So - unlike our plan - we are going to visit the capital of Bulgaria tomorrow.
    Read more