Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Boat Drag

    December 4, 2023 in Antigua and Barbuda ⋅ 🌬 28 °C

    We got up and decided to head into town for a pastel and to get groceries. Got caught in a rain shower on the way… kinda fun. We meet Aubrey (who is setting up fresh produce at English harbour) and loaded up. We then walked to the North Sails loft to apologize to Andrew (but he wasn’t around, nor was Rahim). Off to Nelson’s Dockyard, sat and had a coffee at a little cafe, went to the grocery store and to a gift shop across from grocer where I bought soaps and other Christmas gift items…. We met Salty Dogs (Steve and Lynn from Roxy) who told us about a gathering at 5:30 tonight.
    Back to the boat, but on the way stopped to say Hi to neighbors Lane and Judy from Vermont (Corsair) whom we invited over for drinks. They have a bench in front of there mast and seat on their wenches. We went for a swim and it looked like we were getting closer to reef so decided to check it out with handheld sonar on the dingy, indeed we were drifting and would have to move. We visited Muna and Fred Canadian boat from Chester on Isola Merida and went to Corsair to say we would have to move…. They had decided to go to the Salty Dog gathering in the evening.
    When we lifted anchor there was a huge coral head on the tip. I was unable to get it off and it was hard on the boat moving forward. We hailed a large tender (from the super yacht Loon) and the two guys and a girl helped us remove the large chunk of coral — after several attempts it was gone.
    We re-anchored further out and quickly headed into shore to go to the party. We chatted with Lane and Judy (and their crew Tim and Susan) for awhile at the party … and before at the dress shop where Judy was trying on clothes and Lane was telling us about Barbuda. He is the CEO of a large homeless organization in New Jersey.
    I realized that I had to leave for my conference call with Toronto Detention Centre and we left (without paying for my coffee which we only remembered much later).
    Got on the call… although my camera wouldn’t work for most of the time…. Good Orientation session by Norm.
    Read more