Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    We Sail

    January 24 in Antigua and Barbuda ⋅ 🌬 27 °C

    The plan was to wait for a weather window, Sunday or Monday, and sail to either Guadeloupe or directly to Dominica. However that changed after Chris Whalen visited the boat. He was the carpenter who worked on the boat beside us. He explained that the teak on the deck would need to be redone and the windows as well. Brian wants to get the windows done and Chris had an opening next week. I pushed him a bit on timing and he said he could start this week, so we left Falmouth for Jolly…. But not without incident.
    We went to lower the davit to hoist the dingy but forgot to unpin the wind turbine, so we bent metal and pipes the support brace. We were able to grab it during a lull and tie it off to fix everything without the concern of being whacked by a blade. Finally we were ready to leave, but the anchor was resistant (enjoying its spot snug in the sand)…. But eventually it released.
    It was a quick sail with wind gust up to 35knots and mainly following seas.
    Chris and Arthur met us at the work dock to grab our lines and it was a bit tricky as it was blowing hard.
    Once settled we went the Marina office to check in and had a bite to eat at the Mexican restaurant. We later returned to the area in search of a shower.
    It was yoga and bed for me, but unfortunately the bugs here are really bad and my body was covered in bites in the morning!!
    Read more