Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Marie Galante

    February 9 in Guadeloupe ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    We stayed put during the storm and had a leisurely morning. We heard lots of reports of other boats not doing so well and crashing into shores in Dominica and Martinique. We were happy with our decision to co to a “gunk hole” an anchorage protected on all 4 sides… even though it was very close to shipping channels.
    We had to go into the Marina and check out of the country and pick up laundry. Typically it is $8-10US but it ended up being $65 and the clothes were not even clean (the sheets still had blood stains, that I spray shout on, from Brian’s finger). Katia was running late so we went to a shop and bought some shorts for Brian, looked for a heat shield for the alternator and a few things from Carrefour Express grocery.
    Back to Lorena and hoisted the anchor to set off south again. We deliberated with sailing all night to Martinique, but decided to stop at Marie Gallant at dusk. We stayed about 3 miles NW of Grand Bourg and basically dropped anchor in the sea (not in a bay as per usual)… the depth was 25ft and it was a designated anchorage.
    We had a nice 25 mile sail but the wind was cool and I actually had a long sleeve shirt and a sweater on the journey.
    Read more