Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Kerela backwaters to Kochi

    January 5, 2023 in India ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    After a shower I went out onto the terrace to just sit and look at the river. Does were still and there's some lovely reflections of the houses and trees opposite. Breakfast was served sitting overlooking the river and was rice cakes with samba washed down with a coffee. Personally, I'm not convinced with having curry for breakfast, but the setting was just amazing whatever I thought of food.

    After breakfast we took a water taxi for an hour or so to Allapuzha where we caught a local bus back to Kochi. The local bus was manic and fortunately for us Eve had to take a taxi instead as she wasn't feeling well, although unfortunate for Eve! The bus was crammed with locals travelling the 2 hour journey and every time the bus stopped, which seemed frequently, the doors slammed open.

    We arrived safely in Kochi at just before 1pm and hauled rickshaws back to our original hotel where we checked in. Ed and I then took a walk to the TMK warehouse where another part of the art exhibition was taking place, this time with a Welsh connection!

    By now it was time for a beer and so we walked up to the Ginger hotel where we'd been before, for a drink and snack overlooking the water. From there we took a rickshaw back to Fort Cochin for a final wander around before returning to the hotel for a shower.

    At 7 we met up with our group, minus Eve who was still unwell, for a final meal at a restaurant in Fort Cochin. From there we went to a rooftop bar for a farewell drink before returning to the hotel by 10.30 to get packed ready for our early start on Friday for the second part of our Indian trip!
    Read more