Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 69

    Day 69 - Bruges to Calais, 76 miles

    June 23, 2016 in France ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Last ride on the continent today and was not looking good to start as I awoke to the sound of heavy rain and thunder however forecast said it would clear. Didn't feel the greatest either after last night so hanging around until 11ish waiting for the rain to stop wasn't a bad thing.

    Once heading off in drizzle I didn't expect the weather in ended up going. By the time I reached the Belgium coast there wasn't a cloud in the sky and I even needed to get the sunscreen out for the first time in over two weeks.

    Beautiful wide beaches but not the most characteristic of coasts with the towns lacking a any real culture. As you cross over the border into France heavy industry takes over around Dunkirk and the coastal route heads inland slightly.

    Heading into the evening sunshine and riding along small country lanes through barley fields it was a nice moment to look back on the trip and try and start to take it all in.

    With the ferry booked for tomorrow morning it was time for a relaxed evening in a hotel by the beach in Calais and after an evening walk got to watch an incredible storm cross the chanel as the sun set. Dramatic end to an amazing trip.

    Two more days on the bike back to London to come but first is the ferry in the morning.
    Read more