Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 70

    Day 70 - Calais to Maidstone, 48 miles

    June 24, 2016 in England ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    So after an amazing and diverse 10 weeks of beautiful scenery, cultures and people and many new friends made its time to leave Europe and sadly as it turns out in more ways than one today. Many things may change after today's vote but hopefully we will all never loose the freedom to travel to and learn from different cultures all over the world.

    I may be heading home but there's still some miles to cover and after not seeing a hill for about 2 weeks following the Rhine the steep climb to the top of the White Cliffs of Dover were a bit of shock to the system! After taking in the amazing views along the coast from the top it was time to head in land through Kent 'the garden of England' to visit family in Maidstone.

    Felt a little surreal to be back riding in England and adjusting to riding on the left again! After only a few miles you realise that even though cycling is exploding in the UK we still have a long way to match the quality of road surfaces , cycling networks and maybe most importantly the relationship between cyclist and traffic. On the continent the cyclist is soo respected. In the 40 or so miles I rode in England today I probably had as many cars pass me too close and in dangerous spots as I did in the list 10 weeks in Europe.

    Despite the above it was still a good ride today in the sunshine (who'd have thought coming back to England would give me sun!) and was great seeing family and catching up on everything.

    Last ride tomorrow!
    Read more