Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 410

    The calm before the storm

    July 19, 2017 in Germany ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    We had a great sleep at the old school campsite and enjoyed a small breakfast with 2 other cyclists who were on a Germany tour before re-joining the Elbe route south.

    The second breakfast/brunch was an Edeka classic with a bakery who boasted Wednesday as Croissant discount day. Armed with breakfast packs of jam and fake nutella they made a perfect combination. We had to despatch a crazy cyclist before we cpuld tuck in. He seemed to just want an argument over the quality /price relationship of tyres, to give us a lecture on the merits of weight saving components as well as voicing his power-wattage calculations based on wheel friction..... he certainly chose the wrong people to try and impose his recommendations and criticisms on. They say Inuits have 1000 words for differnt types of snow, we have as many words for the differnt types of bikable (or not!) terrain and surface conditions found over most of northern/eastern Europe.

    The highlight of today's route was the Oma café we visited, set up in a beautiful cottage garden. A beer and a black tea (with a dash of milk) (no prizes for guessing what nationality clichés we fulfilled with that order!)..plus a little cake was enough to fuel us up to reach today's campsite.

    Today was the first hot day in a few months, sun amd temperatures in the high 20s. We worked out that we lost summer (as well as our sanity!) in Poland somewhere..and it didn't really come back as we know it, until now!

    Unfortunately the heat is bringing a storm with it, which looks forecast to begin in the early hours of the morning. The first thunder rumbles have already started.... let's see what happens! :/

    Photos to follow.
    Read more