Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 72

    La Paz and onto the night bus to Uyuni

    December 19, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    We left Copacabana refreshed after two very restful days. Today, we took the bus to La Paz and from there boarded the night bus to Uyuni.

    The journey to La Paz was again interesting. Copacabana is on a peninsula that is connected from Peru but not mainland Bolivia. So the entire bus had to go on a wooden raft while we rode across the lake with a little boat :-)

    We arrived in La Paz at about 5:30 pm. We didn’t see too much of La Paz (we only had 2,5 hours), but enough to see the lively central square and the unique cable car that connects various parts of the city. Plus, it is very impressive to see the city (at 3600 masl it is the highest capital in the world) surrounded by snow-covered mountains.

    There’s a lot of travelling in the next few days: from Uyuni, we plan to take a 3-4-day trip across the Uyuni desert and hopefully come out the other side at San Pedro de Atacama in Chile. (Google the Uyuni desert - it is famous for its visual tricks due to the reflecting salt lakes).

    From San Pedro de Atacama (where we plan to arrive on the 23rd) we will move on to Calama and from there (on the 24th), we will take a flight to Santiago to be there for Christmas.

    So, a lot of travelling but we’re looking forward to the experience (and to arrive in Santiago) :-)
    Read more