Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 79

    Another relaxing day in Santiago

    December 26, 2017 in Chile ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    We enjoyed a great breakfast in our boutique hotel today (which kept us going for the whole day) :-)

    The plan for today was first to go and fix Bertram’s MacBook. We undertook the journey by bus, even though the concierge at our hotel said it was “very dangerous” to take the bus. Well, other than the fact that the drivers drive those busses as if they were racecars, it felt perfectly safe travelling around the center of Santiago.
    Having arrived at the repair shops, the assessment from the experts was that the laptop had a broken logic board, which will cost about $900 to fix. Luckily it is still in warranty in Germany, so we’ll try and bring it back to Munich before end of April (when the warranty runs out). Still, very annoying to have to carry around a not functioning Mac, plus of course the inconvenience of not being able to watch anything on a screen bigger than our iPhones... Oh well, we’ll survive :-)

    After that, we went to two of Santiago’s most famous art museums: the National Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Contemporary Art. The building that houses them both is stunning and the art on display was nice. But sadly there were no English explanations or audio guides, so we left with nice impressions but without really understanding what’s going on with all that contemporary art. The highlight was certainly the nice on-site cafe :-)

    We then wandered through the Belles Artes district. Now that all shops are open again, it was much, much livelier than yesterday. We enjoyed the many squares and parks, some ice cream, walked around the government buildings with lots of Chilean flags on them (and even found the most ugly shopping center 😂).

    We also tried our best to find a dinner place that served vegan food, but in the end none of the shops wanted our money (i.e. they were closed) so we had to find an alternative instead (see foto).

    Tomorrow, we’re visiting the museum of Memory and Human Rights. We’re both excited to learn a bit more about the Chilean past there...
    Read more