Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 82

    Goodbye Santiago, hello Patagonia

    December 29, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    We spent our last 1.5 days in Santiago (at least for now before returning in January) with the following activities:
    - visiting museums, especially the human rights museum covering the Pinochet dictatorship,
    - trying to finally fix the seemingly microscopic but still effective hole in the sleeping mat, and
    - getting cash for the Patagonian adventure - finally, we did find an ATM that did not charge a fee, thanks Scotiabank! ;-)

    Indeed, the latter will be an adventure just from a planning perspective as there seem to be stricter rules on how to access the national parks - and prior reservation for all intended camp sites as well as unidirectional circuits are high on the agendas... to be seen how keen we are on that...

    We have now arrived in Punta Arenas by plane this evening. It’s a nice little harbour town, reminiscent of Scandinavian towns on the coast with the little colourful wooden houses. One of those is our host Elena’s house where we rent a room, with a funny cactus tree in the garden (Bertram dared to go near despite wearing the sensitive down jacket :-O)

    Dinner was nice as well and we look forward to spending the day tomorrow to advance finalizing our plans for the coming 2 weeks. We are both looking forward to it and already on the first evening are super happy to have sunlight until 22:00 at night :-)))))
    Read more