Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Akelaŕe Pedro Subijana

    May 11 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    WOW! WOW! WOW! A Wow for each of Akelaŕe's 3 Michelin stars it's held since 2007. I could continue with the wows for each and every dish, the setting, the service... the whole experience.

    Getting to Akelaŕe located on the slopes of Mount Igeldo, San Sebastián nearly didn't happen... pouring with rain, no Uber on the radar, no taxi in sight, I was thinking we would not make it. Good fortune was on our side, and we chanced upon an available taxi. We arrived early, giving ourselves time for a predinner drink and a chance for me to dry my new silk blouse, drenched by the rain, under the hand dryer. A glass of Cava (Spanish sparkling wine) started our experience at Akelaŕe.

    A good conductor is of no use without virtuosos of each instrument... believes Subijana. This was evident through the food and the exemplary service.

    Amuse-bouche was delightful and not quite what was expected. The 'potato' was actually a delightful mouthful of Russian salad. The 'macaron', which seemed out of place as an amuse-bouche, was actually savoury and had the flavour of a gilda (a famous pitxos served in all the bars)

    For entreé it was hard to go past one called homage to the anchovy, and Jeremy was not disappointed. I opted for a steamed red prawn with txakoli flavours. Jeremy won that round.
    The codfish shaped in a beautiful rose just melted in the mouth, and the accompanying beetroot flavours was a great pairing.
    Following the codfish was the Foie Gras with salt and pepper. They tricked us again, and while I would have been more than happy with the pile of salt, the salt was actually sugar, and the pepper was fried puffed rice. Next level deliciousness!
    Iberian pork belly and cabbage with a crunchy crackling twirl was next to hit the palate. The palate was dancing!
    The dish of Barnacles and Pig's trotters and mussels with seaweed was well named 'a bite of land and sea'.
    With the sea element happily lingering from the previous dish, the grilled Turbut followed nicely.
    Baresarian suckling lamb was next for me, and pork with 3 different types of garlic was Jeremy's choice. The lamb was exquisite, and the silky, rich jus left me wanting more. Drinking a jug of it would not be out of the question for me.
    Accompanying our dinner, we had a lovely 1997 Rioja red.
    Two desserts and petit-fours rounded off a spectacular dinner. The chocolate dessert was nothing to write home about. However, the second one, which I forgot to take a pic of, was much better, as evident by empty plate. The apple iced wine we had was the best part of dessert.
    Read more