Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Katakolo & The Great Olympia

    November 2, 2023 in Greece ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    Day 13

    GOOD MORNING GREECE 🇬🇷

    Woke early this morning and it is still dark outside and the only way we can tell is through our TV 📺. We are watching the boat sail into the port of Katakolo… this is the port in Greece 🇬🇷 to access the ruins of Olympia. As I said still dark and we will get up shortly for breakfast. Mum and Vicki are heading off on an excursion this morning and Rell and I are just walking around the port. So we will see how things go.

    Olympia is an ancient site on Greece's Peloponnese peninsula that hosted the original Olympic Games, founded in the 8th century B.C. Its extensive ruins include athletic training areas, a stadium and temples dedicated to the gods Hera and Zeus. The Archaeological Museum of Olympia exhibits finds from the site, including a statue of Hermes attributed to the sculptor Praxiteles. ― Google
    Population: 13,409 (2011)
    Area: 544.9 km²
    Elevation: 60 m

    Katakolo is a seaside town in the municipality of Pyrgos in western Elis, Greece. It is situated on a headland overlooking the Ionian Sea and separating the Gulf of Kyparissia from the rest of the Ionian. It is 11 km west of Pyrgos.

    We hopped off the boat this morning and then hopped on the hop-on-hop-off bus… about €10 each. This took us for a run to the next closest town. We drove around looking at the town squares, monuments, hop on hop off running around buses and parks. Mostly rural area for the growing of raisins and olives 🫒. These hop on hop off busses barely fitted into the narrow streets, in some areas it was so tight they had to cut any trees growing in the footpath right back so they didn’t collect the bus as it’s squeeeeezed by!

    We stayed on the bus 🚌 and returned to port because it looked like rain and it did. We arrived back after s huge downpour of rain coming into the side of the bus but by the time we arrived back it had all stoped! The port town of Katakolo was very beautiful filled with quaint very hood quality shops selling cloths, gifts snd jewellery just gif the ships! Some really well set up and welcoming looking restaurants with great priced food!!
    Another ship had come in… bigger than ours, it was about 3500-4000 passengers plus over 20 decks, and they like us were attacking the town as well. After a look we stopped at one of the restaurants, we had yogurt and honey with some hot Greek chips and a couple of coffees… 👅👅👅 this food was really great, so tasty compared to the food on the ship, real flavour!

    We also talked to the kids and Jame wanted us to go to grandparents day at school… sorry mate we are on the other side of the world. Followed up by checking out alllll the shops, then we sat and watched the world go by in a little restaurant overlooking the harbour. You can’t get much better than that. Beer, wine and food. Then it was time to head back to the boat for a well deserved rest before shipping out to Athens.
    Another night with Michael Buble entertaining us! Then we watch a really great karaoke night with one of the passengers doing a Tina Turner song 🎵 wow 😮 was she unreal! So all I n all a great day had! Sleep well friends! Farewell from Greece!
    Read more