Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    End of day 3 Waterloo Inn, Nash

    May 31, 2023 in Wales ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Back on the coastal path approached the modern A48 bridge over the river Usk. Just before the bridge, on the south side happened upon a park built around a disused graving dock. Amazed to see it was completely silted up which perfectly illustrates how much silt is in the river Usk.

    Over the bridge then right / south for a mile along Corporation Road. A very industrial part of the city with countless companies and almost continual heavy vehicles.

    At the end of the road, the Wales coast path turns onto a lane between factories, through some woodland, then onto Great Traston meadows nature reserve. A delightful area of a few fields all in grass and buttercups. Chatted to a mother here who was walking the Wales coast path with her new baby while on maternity leave.

    A few fields further arrived at Waterloo Inn, Nash where I had arranged to camp the night in their garden.

    From Nash the Wales coast path takes a loop west and south through an RSPB bird sanctuary. After a Cider at the pub, arranged to leave my pack and walk this 4 mile circuit then back to the pub to reduce the length of tomorrow's walk. As I approached a reen bridge a herd of bullocks decided I was interesting so bounded across their field to block my exit. I found another way out of the field. It cost me 3 sides of a square but it was worth it, I don't trust cows!

    Great craic back at the Waterloo Inn where I was made very welcome by Antony, Jade, Andrea and many of the regulars. Steady trade all through the evening. They are selling up later in June. I wish the new owners success. Set up camp in the pub garden later in the evening retiring 22:30.

    12.5 miles from Tredegar park to Nash completed at end of 3rd day of walking.
    Total miles so far : 32
    Weather overcast and cool at first, very light amount of rain late morning, the sunshine and glorious from 1pm.
    Number of people passed : hundreds ... in Newport
    Read more