Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 27

    Day 26 Wernog Wood to Bodfari

    24 de junio de 2023, Gales ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Saturday : Up 06:15, away 09:10. Rob of Wernog Wood Craft Centre kindly let me use the workshop kitchen again for a cuppa and my porridge, which assisted me to get an early start.

    Retraced a few hundred yards from Wernog Wood through woodland and over a field to minor road where I left Offa's Dyke path yesterday. During short walk along A494 immediately encountered 6-8 walkers. Considerably more than the 3 encountered yesterday. After a few fields began ascent up Foel Fenlli. All the time encountering increasing numbers of walkers.

    From Foel Fenlli descended to large car park at Bwlch Pen Barra. Lots of cars parked here and a great many day trippers enjoying the Clwydian Hills. This explained why I had passed so many walkers. Next ascent was to Moel Famau which is topped with a Jubliee tower built to commemorate the 30-year Jubilee of King George III, aka 'Mad King George'. On this stretch, I must have passed more than a hundred walkers. The term 'tower' is somewhat loose because there is only a base, the actual tower having collapsed after a storm in the 19th century. From up here I saw the Sea for the first time since leaving Sudbury Cliffs in Gloucestershire.

    The next section saw a dramatic reduction in walkers. Just a few to the next peak of Moel Dywyll. I came to realise the Clwydian hills were rather like the Malvern Hills of my home county of Worcestershire. A great draw for local people, particularly at a weekend.

    There followed a number of up and down peaks, as tiring as I imagine the Malverns would be to walk their entire length. It had been windy all day, which moderated what would otherwise have been a hot day. On the final descent to Bodfari, the wind ceased and the temperature soared as a result.

    After a circuitous walk around Bodfari arrived at Station House Caravan park http://www.stationhousecaravanpark.co.uk to be cheerfully greeted by Jan who showed me around. Jan's house was the former railway station. The railway being another victim of Beeching's axe. Particulary welcome were the chairs Jan had had moved to next to my pitch and the washing machine, which I immediately made use of.

    After pitching repaired to the nearby, rather upmarket and surprisingly heaving with customers, Dinorben Arms for expensive but particularly excellent food and Cider.

    14 miles from Wernog Wood Craft Centre to Station Caravan site in Bodfari completed at end of 26th day of walking and 19th on Offa's Dyke path.
    Total miles so far : 285
    Average speed : 1.6 mph
    Weather sunshine and glorious. Another hot day with very strong SW wind for much of the day which kept temperature cool.
    Number of people passed : Hundreds!
    Objective tomorrow : Day off
    Leer más