Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Happy Birthday To Me

    January 2, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Another year has flown by and I awoke today to find myself only one year away from official senior citizenship everywhere on the planet and receiving my CPP and OAS benefits. Unbelievable!

    Brenda's gift to me this year was this getaway to Mexico City, and what a great gift it's been. We've both fallen quite hard for this metropolis with it's vibrant colors, rhythmic music, warm people and great food. We will surely return for a longer stay someday soon.

    Today started out with a birthday card in which Brenda promised to keep sending me Valentines, birthday greetings and bottles of wine. We then headed out on our second attempt at a tour of the pyramids at Teotihuacan, which turned out to be most enjoyable and awe inspiring, despite the lousy tour guide. To think these enormous structures were erected 2000 years ago boggles the mind.

    We then went for a birthday dinner at Por Siempre, which was in fact our return visit there because the food is so good. Our last meal there was tainted by a horrid server, but we got the good server this time and everything was perfect. Five tacos and a Champequeso (mushrooms sauteed with vegan cheese) later, we left with full bellies and a chocolate covered donut to eat later in lieu of a full sized birthday cake.

    As I type this we're in our hotel room sipping on the second bottle of Champagne that we bought during our Costco visit. We decided to try the Kirkland brand which is quite delicious, however, the bubbles are sorely lacking in finesse. BURP!!!

    Today I received dozens of well wishes and loads of love from friends and family and got to spend the day exploring this great big world with my favorite person in it.

    What more could a 64 year old ask for?
    Read more