Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Veguisima

    January 3, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Before we came to Mexico City, Brenda had prepared a list of 4.5 star rated vegan restaurants she felt we must try before we returned to Mazatlan. By the time our last full day here rolled around, we had managed to eat at all but two of them and even made return trips to two of those visited.

    We knew before coming to Mexico City that there was a wealth of vegan eateries, but the longer we stayed, the more vegan-friendly places we discovered. Alas, by the end of our stay, we were faced with the age old dilemna: so much food, so little time.

    After taking a second look at reviews of our two remaining "must dine at" restaurants, we decided the food at Veguisima looked better than our other choice, Gatorta.

    And what a good decision that was. Brenda ordered the chilaquiles, tortilla strips with refried beans, potatoes sauted with oil, onion and spices, smothered in a mildly spicy green salsa. I had the drowned burrito, which the menu noted, "is big". It was a large flour tortilla stuffed to bursting with rice, quinoa, carrots, red cabbage, caramelized onions, chorizo spices cauliflower and cheez. The whole things was pan fried a d covered in green salsa and almond cream. It kinda looked like a gargantuan caterpillar, but tasted like heaven. Needless to say, by the time I made my way through it I was begging, "no mas".

    The food here was refined and quite different from most of the other places that were on our hit list. There was very little usage of soy protein imitation meats or seitan with the majority of the dishes being entirely plant based.

    This was certainly the right choice for our last meal in CDMX.
    Read more