Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 84–86

    Tasmanian Tales with Grammy

    March 27 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    The persistent rumble of trucks throughout the night left us bleary-eyed but buzzing with anticipation. Today was the day we'd reunite with Anth's mum in Launceston! Her arrival at 3 pm gave us a sliver of time for some city errands. Sal, yearning for a touch of pampering, surrendered to the magic of a hairdresser's chair, while Anth tackled the laundry mountain. A pit stop at the supermarket ensured our nomadic pantry wouldn't sing an empty tune.

    Errands conquered, we steered the bus towards Old Mac's Farm, a vibrant hub for fellow RVers. It wasn't our usual tranquil escape, but for this reunion, it was perfect. There, waiting with open arms, were Anth's mum and her best friend Fran, ready to join us on our Tasmanian adventure for the next three weeks. Saying goodbye to Grammy at the start of our journey had tugged at our hearts, but the chance to explore this island paradise with her, a place she'd never seen, filled us with joy.

    With bellies full and excitement bubbling over, we set off for Cataract Gorge, a natural wonder perched on the edge of Launceston. A quick trip on the chairlift whisked us over the gorge, its breathtaking beauty unfolding before us. We opted for a leisurely stroll back across the suspension bridge, pausing for a coffee break at the cafe before returning to the bus. It was a shorter walk than usual, a concession to our lovely "oldies," but their presence on this leg of the trip made it all the more special.

    Back at Old Mac's Farm, we gathered around the bus, maps spread out like a treasure hunter's dream. Together, we charted a course for the next few days, laughter and excitement filling the air. Dinner, unfortunately, turned into a battle against a swarm of pesky European wasps – a foe we weren't used to facing back in Queensland. Forced inside, we retreated to the cozy confines of the bus, bellies full of kebabs (minus a few wasp-induced casualties) and hearts brimming with plans for the adventures ahead. It was time to unwind, jot down the day's experiences in our journals, and drift off to sleep, lulled by the promise of new discoveries.
    Read more