Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Dragoman D1- Over the Andes

    April 6, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    At an eyewatering 6am we were up and breakfasted and had our first glimps of the 11th member of our group, Mamasita. A big white and orange bus-truck she would be our transport for the next 31 days. She can carry 23 people so with only 8 of us on the tour we have plenty of space. Within her she has a library, a fridge, speakers, heaters, charging point, tables to play cards. When we are off road she has roof seats (with seat belts Mam!) to get the best views. Underneath she carries gallons of drinking water, all our camping equipment and more. We are fully self sufficient.

    Our guides are David and Lou. David is our driver and engineer, having driven HGV for years, his last job was as the maintainance man at a buddist monestry. Lou is our leader, originally on a Dragoman tour years ago they recruited her after that trip.

    On board with us are Sheila and John a retired couple who are on their second Dragoman tour. Bob and Faye an Australian couple on their honeymoon. Charlotte, from London who is a big traveller, and Izzy who has just graduated from Uni.

    We set off in the darkness heading over the andes towards Mendoza in Argentina. As daylight began to creep upon us we could start to see the outlines of the great mountains around us. As we went round a corner a great gorge or a snow peaked mountain could await us. We worked upwards switchback after switchback to the top of Christ the redeemer pass. Mamasita had no problems.

    After the border and a stop for lunch (empanadas if course) the great mountain Ancaguon rose up, the highest in South America. Afterwards we decended down and the mountains melted into lysh green vineyards that would go on for miles. We had arrived in wine country!

    On arrival to the hostel we found to our horror that tours on a bike round the vineyards had increased their price to £65. Luckily we started chatting to a young American couple in the hostel that recommended catching a bus to Maipu, hiring bikes and visiting the winiries our selves. A plan was made!
    Read more