Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Dragoman D11 The hill of seven colours

    April 16, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Leaving Salta behind we headed to Purmamarca the home of the hill of seven colours.On the way we passed through a devastated village now raised to the ground after the mass floodings and mudslides in February.

    When arriving at our destination the hill did not disappoint, with a mix of red, oranges, purples and green colours running through the stones.

    As we had stayed in a hostel instead of a hotel in Salta we upgraded from camping to a hostel. Running from room to room we somehow ended up with the smallest room for the 4 of us younger travellers. The older couples had a room each. The hostel didn't have wifi but did have Satalite TV!

    We hiked for 3km around the hill with James running off to conquer each little peak or stone formation. I had a go and reached pretty high up a knife edge before vertigo hit and I had a hasty retreat. On the way down I spotted a man in a poncho it was Bob- now known as Llama Bob! The town was full of souviners and we were sad that we had run out of argentinian money. Hopefully they will be just as good over the border in Chile and Bolivia.

    Back in the hostel I set about chopping onions and veg again for a stew and we had a lovely meal together polishing off all the opened wine before the border crossing into Chile. We crashed back in the room, changed into pj's and watched Pirates of the Carribean and Hook before falling asleep.

    Tomorrow we will leave Argentina for the last time. An expansive and beautiful country with such varied landscapes and friendly people I've really enjoyed travelling through (maybe minus the expense and the long bus journeys!) I hope the economic problems improve for them soon, and don't think I'd hesitate coming back if I had the chance... maybe Ushuia and a cheeky trip to Antartica when I win the lottery!
    Read more