Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    Dragoman D16 Salt flats

    April 21, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Loaded into 4x4 at 10 o clock we started towards the salt flats. The landscspe slowly turned from rocky mud to crystal white salt in all directions. The mountains on the horizon appeared to float above the salt, and other 4x4 could be seen as little flecks zooming across the salt.

    Stopping at an island called Inca's house, it was covered in cacti meters tall that clung to an old coral outcrop. We were served lunch of chicken, rice, pasta and potatoes. They love carbs here! To work off the calories we went exploring up to the top of the island and came back down through caves. At the bottom Faye was struggling. She's been badly affected by altitude sickness and walking even a few steps affects her. The guides advise hospital every day but so far she's declined. She's missed out on a lot.

    Next stop was the middle of nowhere so that we could take perspective photos. Trickier than it looks, but a lot of fun! We continued on to the salt hotel which had hundreds of flags outside from every nationality. I wished I had a spare Welsh flag to tie up. On the edge of the salt flats we then waited for sunset which was a fiery orange.

    Back in Uyuni we set out for street food and ended up in a small place that was full of locals. We had llama steak with rice and chips and a large bottle of coke. It cost us £1.70, the cheap prices have arrived at last! Grabbing some popcorn on the way back were chilling in the hotel foyer when a couple we met in Pucon recognised us and we had a lovely chat. I wonder who else we will meet before Lima!
    Read more