Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 79

    Arequipa

    May 8, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Out last day in Cusco was spent relaxing in the hostel trying to ignore my ongoing feelings of sickness. We were down to three as we were joining Izzy as she made her way down to Arequipa and her work abroad scheme. We caught a extremely bumpy night bus and arrived in Arequipa at dawn.

    A very pretty city surrounded by three volcanoes we collapsed into bright orange sofas adorning the hostels rooftop terrace until the coffee shops opened. Taking it easy with food I ordered a light breakfast forgetting the gargantuon size of any South American meal.

    Izzy had enough energy for a walking tour, James and I did not. A very hot shower and a nap later I felt human again for the first time in days. With Izzy back she became our tour guide with her new knowledge of the city. The market had fruit stalls piled high and we chanced on their empanadas, cooked for extra long by request which earnt us an eye roll.

    We continued through the prettiest main square with palm trees, on one side lies the cathedral with volcano misti behind. We continued past to see the convent. A city within a city this complex was full of cloisters, narrow streets and small squares. Initally for wealthy nuns they all had a house each with a servant until reformation forced them together.

    Returning to the hostel we enjoyed some beers on the patio until sunset. Listening to the garbage truck bekow which for some reason blasted out Little Mermaid on steel drums. Supper was at a place I spotted on tripadvisor. Simple and cheap food, you had 6 different variaties of potato at the bottom and could choose any topping you liked on top - for me chorizo! On arrival they ask where you're from so we ended up with a Welsh flag proudly adorning our table. Izzy has become honorary welsh.

    The next day we relaxed most of the day waiting for the last marathon bus to take us to Lima. Scoffing pizza before we said our goodbyes to Izzy we set off for our last city in South America.
    Read more