Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 100

    Bay of islands

    May 29, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Up bright and early we headed to the wharf and jumped on board the cruise of the bay. A foggy morning in Paihia we couldn't see Russell the town the other side of the bay. The skipper gave a running commentary as we sailed around the bay and the mist lifted. First stop a privately owned island to drop off their post!

    Dolphins were the aim of the game, along with seeing the hole in the rock. While the dolphins evaded us the hole at least stayed put. We couldn't go through due to swell but had a good look either side.

    Dropped off on the biggest island we hiked to the top and had a great 360 view across the bay and the penninsula. The sun was out so the sky wad a vivid blue, reflected in the sea with emerald green isles inbetween.

    We stepped off the cruise in Russell and had a walk around the sleepy old capital. Full of colonial buildings and a pretty beach. A free ferry ride later, back in Paihia, we got our affairs back in order and enjoyed the atmosphere in the hostel. With a free upgrade to a twin room, and a helpful owner called Nicky, it was such a nice place. With a roaring wood fire, comfy sofas and a good kitchen we could relax and get to know the fellow guests. A mix of German, Irish and French they gave us a lot of tips for our travels to South Island soon.

    Our tour for the next day was cancelled but the hostel staff soon booked us into another company's tour with a discounted price. An early start for that tour too!

    Hostel: Moustrap hostel: 5/5 Great room, great kitchen, great atmosphere, brilliant staff. Loved

    Fullers cruise the bay: 4/5 only because there was no dolphins, but we have a free trip that lasts a lifetime to come back to try and see them!
    Read more