Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 105

    Maori Tamaki Village

    June 3, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 7 °C

    The night experience at the Tamaki village is worth its glowing reviews. Picked up by Dennis our Louis Armstrong sounding driver he gave a witty explanation of the welcome ceremony we were about to be greeted with.
    Step 1. We needed a chief, an Aussie wife at the front voluntered her husband. Chief Michael was born.
    Step 2. No laughing or smiling despite the faces the warriors will pull, its insulting.
    Step 3. Take as many videos as you want and say a big Kia Ora at the end!
    He the had the whole bus miming to row our "waka" aka the bus into the park.

    We were greeted by the village chief and around 7 warriors who presented welcome gifts to Chief Michael. Once we were accepted into the village we went around 5 different huts learning Maori childhood games, dancing and the Haka!

    Our food was the traditional Hongi which is cooked under the ground. While it was being prepared we sat for a concert of Maori dancing and singing, followed by some contemporary dancing. They have amazing voices! The night was topped off with the amazing hongi buffet.

    Dennis drove us back, singing the wheels in the bus chipping in a verse where the driver doesn't have a liscence and then finished off with its a wonderful world. What a brilliant night.
    Read more