Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 130

    Queenstown

    June 28, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 5 °C

    Welcome to the adventure capitol of New Zealand, also the money sucker of NZ (thankfully we saved a lot last week!) It was a liveky sunny day as we arrived and the snow was halfway down the mountains, a good omen for our chosen adventure sport, sking!

    Wandering around the waterfront we met up with Nick and El James' uni friends who's wedding we had unfortunately missed. We had a lovely hot choclate and a short catch up before organising to go out for drinks and food later in the night in a cery nice thai restaraunt.

    Next day after a lazy morning we headed up the cable cars and had a fun hour going uo and down the luge. After working up an appetite the next stop was Fergburger which was yummy with blue cheese! In the evening we walked up to Nick and Wl's Air BnB where we had a lovely meal with wine and wished them well in their continued honeymoon!

    Next day was sking day!! We boarded the bus which wound its way up to altitude and the snow. We broke through the clouds and entered the ski resort. Picking up our boots and skis we lined up with 7 others and were paired with Andrew from Scotland who would be our instructor. A very patient man he had us up the lift and down the begginer park slope within 2 hours.

    Unfortunately for me the angle of the ski boots left my calves screaming and when we finally stopped I became an old woman hobbling about. I couldn't carry on so thanked Andrew and sat myself down with some coffee and mulled wine stretching my calves back out. Watching James progress he soon disappeared out of view ip the big chairlift for a proper run. It's not fair how quick he picks stuff like this up!

    Back down in Queenstown exhausted we wolfed down our food in the hostel before heading out to watch the midweek Lions match, a draw. I'm getting nervous for Saturday!

    James has the ski and luge photos on his blog!
    Read more