Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 391

    Lake Naivasha

    January 11, 2021 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    I spend two nights at lake Naivasha to recuperate from driving around. Together with lake Baringo, lake Naivasha is the only fresh water lake in the eastern Great Rift Valley in Kenya. The others are shallow alkaline lakes and are listed as World Heritage. The Fisherman's Camp has a designated campsite which is surrounded by a low electric fence in order to keep the hippos outside at night. But I decide to stay on "the wild" side with the hippos. It's nicer there, quieter and hippos are your best friends, of course. On the first night I get very angry because one local visitor scares two hippos with his car, literally pushing them with the car back into the water while using his horn additionally. But without any reason! He just says "You know, they are dangerous!" but they were just grazing at safe distance. Disrespectful idiot.
    One morning I visit Elsamere just around the corner. It was the former house of George and Joy Adamson - protagonists of diverse novels like "Born Free" and famous conservationists. Now it is a lodge and a tiny museum. Everything is kept in lovely original condition and I learn a lot more especially about Joy. Did not know how awesomely she painted flora and Kenya's indigenous tribesmen! A lot of her work is exhibited in Kenya's National Museum. This woman must have been a machine!
    Read more