Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 211

    Kathmandu!

    March 28, 2018 in Nepal ⋅ 🌫 20 °C

    We stayed at Pushkar Shah’s house (for 10 days) which is full of cyclists throughout the year. He’s been on a mystical journey for peace around the world with his bicycle, promotes cycling and fights for bicycle lanes nowadays. There were many other crazy riders too and it was great to spend time together and share experiences.

    We went around a lot, guided and unguided, and there are temples, stupas and other holy places everywhere and in all sizes, in the trees, in the walls, in the pavement, at the surrounding hills. We watched the cremations taking place at some temples next to the rivers - with very mixed feelings.
    We visited one of the holiest pilgrims sites for Buddhists in the world - the Boudhanath stupa and the holy atmosphere there are mesmerizing.

    It’s easy to notice all the opulent dogs, pigeons and monkeys who love to stay around the temples because the people usually offer sacrifice in form of rice, biscuits and other sweets - and feeding them is positive for the karma :)

    And: Fit in cycling does not mean fit in yoga... We used our lazy time to do some yoga lessons in the mornings. We found an ashram round the corner where the locals go and enjoyed this authentic experience although it was painful during the yoga and painful the days after (every little muscle hurt!). But again and again a perfect start into the day before breakfast.

    There are also some good news for our further journey (and this is also the main reason why we stayed that long in this crazy city): After 4 visits to the Indian embassy we eventually got our visa, yeah!
    Read more