Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 191

    Stirling Range NP

    September 1, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    We knew that we should get onto the Nullarbor and get that part of the trip whipped out so we can then take it easy through SA, where there was so much to continue exploring. But when I saw a few photos of the Stirling Range in one of the visitor booklets I had this strong pulling to see it. Andy agreed although he was definitely more interested in getting to Norseman (and finding some very unique opals!).

    We got to Stirling Range Retreat and got some housekeeping done. While potting around, dozens of themed cars arrived for a jolly lunch meet up on their way to Albany. They were all part of the WA Variety Bash (children a charity)!! We had the best atmosphere and even ran into the Blues Brothers at the Bluff Knoll carpark (such cool dudes, the girls even got pressies from them).

    The actual walk started gently but soon turned into more uphill steps, separated by tracks with open rocky edges. Although the views were gorgeous, they didn’t impress the girls much as tired halfway through. Andy was also uncomfortable - heights are just not his thing and he worried about the girls tripping over while wary. With about a km to go he turned back with Millie, while I continued up with Ella, who was keen to make it to the finish.

    As we reached the last few hundred meters from the summit, a dark cloud covered us and suddenly we were freezing. Ella was a little trooper and kept going strong, while we chatted and laughed. We reached the summit together and I took in the mysterious views of the cloudy scenery from above. It was a special moment I will have stored in my memory for a long time.
    Read more