Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 193

    Norseman and the Nullabor

    September 3, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    We took the very last park at Norseman RV ground late at night and crashed. When we looked outside in the morning, only one other van was still parked - it appeared that no one wanted to hang around there for long?

    Andy excitedly set off to explore a few areas on the outskirts of town in search for the dendritic opal, a rock he had read about in his spare time, only mapped to be found in the Norseman area. We allowed 2 nights for here, to make sure he can find a s or eVisa sample. It wasn’t even midday when he phoned to say he found a whole heap of them! He was wrapped.

    We walked around the town with the girls, not really finding anything interesting, and discussing how we would surprise Andy on Father’s Day while on the remote Nullarbor. Got a cake in the IGA, which we hid in their girls’ cupboard, a few other food supplies, and when Andy got back, we decided to hit the road early that afternoon.

    Another late night found us past Caiguna Roadhouse, in a spacious free camp tucked away in the shrubs far enough from the main road. In the morning we woke into strong westerly winds - the worst way to tow when heading east. Andy didn’t blink and kept us all moving all day, with only the occasional swap with me. We found night traffic to be more intense, as the huge road train rolled down the highway while we sat on 80km/hr. We both kept our eyes glued on the road and had the occasional check in on the CB radio, while the girls absolutely loved chilling on their night drive.

    When parking up for the second night, we couldn’t believe we were only an 3 hours out of Ceduna - the last stop on the Nullarbor! We did over a 1000kms, crossed the SA border and I managed to knock off my headache.

    We all had a sleep in and when Andy went for some metal detecting in the morning, the girls prepared the Father’s Day celebration. Andy was so surprised. He had no idea it was coming 😌.

    The diesel price dropped from $2.99 in Nullarbor Roadhouse to $2.09 just about a hundred kms down the road, so crazy. But we had already roped up and couldn’t care, the long drive was over and the sun was out. Streaky Bay was calling - and for one more time, the beach.
    Read more