Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 200

    The Grampians

    September 10, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Where should we stop between here and home?? Is this even a real question? Are we really that close to home? It took some time to sink in.. our travels are coming to an end. We have so much to look forward to back at home but also so much to miss.

    Let’s stop in the Grampians. Let’s see one more national park, crimson rosellas, roos and maybe even a wombat?

    We stopped at Mackenzie falls car park and set out for a bit of walking. Millie was tired and stayed in the van, so we didn’t want to take too long. It was a lot of fun hopping along the muddy track to Mackenzie Falls and further on, to Fish Falls. It had been raining heavily so the falls were bursting with water - so powerful, so full of life. We even got to see a timid roo in the car park when we returned! One thing we noticed was the crowds of people, something we were no longer used to. But the gum forest was ever so familiar.. we could feel that we were back home, in Victoria.

    We found a peaceful little RV place in Cavendish, on the Wannon River bank to stay for the night and the next day. Andy was keen to fossick for some smokey quartz in Mooralla, a nearby locality known to fossickers. He left in the morning and stayed out for most of the day, getting bogged, lost and dirty but content that we had tried. What he found was not yet certain but he was keen to return again.

    We enjoyed some pancakes, went for a walk and then played with a ball in the basketball court nearby. This was our last day but no one spoke to much about it. We just couldn’t believe it.

    Chinese for dinner followed in Hamilton, the same way we kicked off the travels with Chinese food in Portland back in Feb. A few hours driving and a wet overnighter at Pyke Creek and just under an hour’s drive to get to Sunshine in the morning. The gypsy life was truly ending.
    Read more