Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Exploring Lisbon

    July 20, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Thursday morning we had our first excursion with Viking, seeing some of the sites around Lisbon including the Belem Tower and the Jeronimos Monastery. It was hot, very hot and we were very thankful for the air conditioned bus. The monastery was just the first of MANY churches and religious locations we would visit over the next week but it was truly beautiful. It’s amazing to think how they created such impressive buildings and carvings with none of todays tools and resources.
    We had some free time during our outing and Bailey and found another Bordalo piece (Raccoon) while Kevin and Mom headed for some pastel de nata from Pasteis de Belem. Yummy little custard treats famous in Portugal. We might have had just a few during our stay 😋

    Thursday afternoon Kevin, Bailey and I did a bit more exploring, finishing up our afternoon sipping sangria at one of the many miradouro in Lisbon offering a beautiful view of the city. Thanks to our tour guide, Nuno, we had a recommendation for supper and let me tell you that if I ever get the chance to have francesinha again I will definitely be having that!! It’s like no sandwich you’ve ever had before and it was delish!!
    After dinner it was time to head for our sunset cruise. A lovely evening sail on the Rio Tejo, drinking wine, entertaining conversation and a lovely sunset. I think this was Mom’s favourite part of the whole trip, might have been the special attention she got from the captain of the sailboat 😉 A lovely end to our first of many busy fun-filled days.

    Bailey, Kev and I finished off our night completing one of Bailey’s Lisbon must-do – a drink at Seen, the rooftop bar at our hotel. It’s quite the spot and definitely one of those Lisbon hot-spots where it’s cool to be “seen” 😜
    Read more