Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    1. Day Adana I

    August 20, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Adana (Hittite Adaniya) is Turkey's fifth largest city with more than 2.2 million inhabitants (2021) and the capital of the province of the same name.

    The city probably dates back to a Hittite settlement: Adaniya has been mentioned in historical Hittite texts since the 16th century BC.

    There are various sources for the origin of the name Adana. It is supposedly derived from Adanos, the son of Uranos from Greek mythology. Another possible origin is the derivation from Adanyia, an area near Kizzuwatna in the Hittite Empire.

    To us:
    We arrived in Adana at the Otogar and decided to take a taxi to our accommodation. The ride took about 15 minutes and cost us about 80 Lt.

    After first learning about the city and finding out that Adana is the Turkish capital of good food, we decided to visit some of the very well rated restaurants.

    As we didn't have much cash left, we first had to find an ATM that didn't charge interest. Beware. Most banks in Turkey charge interest even if you have an interest-free credit card, which can be between 5-20%. The only two banks that do not charge interest are HSBC, which is very reliable, and PTT, which is a kind of Turkish Postbank.
    Unfortunately, the second bank is not entirely reliable. We unfortunately had to walk for a long time because the Google entries were not always up to date. When we were finally able to withdraw money, we bought an Adanakart and took a Dolmus back to our accommodation, as there are many good restaurants in the area.
    Read more