Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Evening 33: Papeete, Tahiti

    January 24 in French Polynesia ⋅ 🌧 79 °F

    We raised anchor around 7:00 PM in Moorea, Opunoho Bay and headed to our next port Papeete, Tahiti. It was a quick trip. You can take a ferry and do it in about 45 minutes. So, our next port is very close. While eating dinner in the World Cafe off the starboard (right) sight city lights appeared and they were very close.

    We were finishing up dinner and went out to the deck 7 stern, to watch them navigate the Neptune into the dock.

    We ere heading straight for the pier, then the ship stoped and did a 180 degree turn - then BACKED IN to the dock. A tugboat was to our right between us and another ship at the pier next to us.

    We watch the shore line men pull in the lines and attached them to the posts on the pier. However, the furthest line had issues. The angle of the line from the ship to the post was blocked by a huge jersey barrier (cement block) which they then got a fork light and pushed it out of the way.

    So, it took a while but we finally got the Neptune securely attached to the dock. We will stay the night docked.

    Tomorrow we have a long private excursion, so, not sure when I will post. I will try to get the sunrise post up quickly. We are happy to be in Tahiti.

    Pleasant dreams - we shave an early morning and a long day tomorrow.
    Read more