Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    Day 59: Academy of Mixology: Gin (1:2)

    February 19 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 75 °F

    In earlier posts we talked about the various tastings the Neptune offers. Today, Viking and the Neptune crew brought it up a couple of notches big time.

    Note: There are two posts (Parts 1 & 2) of this event because of capturing photos of everything going on.

    For life-long learners you can now attend classes at Viking’s “Academy of Mixology” in the Torshavn lounge. Watch the Viking Daily and pre-register to ensure your seat.

    When we walked in they had a beautiful arrangement of fruits and bottles on the bar (See Video). Today’s Mixology class was using gin as the base. First, they showed a video about Highclere Gin. Then taught us how to mix three different drinks; Gin & Tonic, Negroni, and White Lady.

    Donna and I are not Gin drinkers by any means. I may have had a G&T in the past a couple of times, but gin is not our “go-to” drink. However, in the spirit of learning and broadening our knowledge we attended this workshop.

    It was very well organized. First, they showed us how to make each drink. What glass to use - the amount of ice - the order or the pouring - and what every garnish was needed.

    Three tables were set up at the stage for two volunteers at each table. While they made their drinks, bartenders in the back were mixing the drinks to pass out to the rest of us to try. Three groups got to make drinks in front of us. Watch the video of Donna doing the “Hippy, Hippy, Shake.”

    Everyone who was there had a blast - The tastings we have been to have been very good and educational. Donna and I have learned a lot. This “Academy of Mixology” is a fun workshop format - where we enjoy hands-on experience mixing and tasting new drinks.

    Donna and I have already let Igor(s) & Beka know if they get too busy behind the bar we will be happy to step in and give them a hand. We are looking forward to the next Mixology session.

    A world cruise offers us many chances to get out of our comfort zones. Maybe it is jumping off the Sky Tower in Auckland, Climbing to the Top of the Harbor Bridge in Sydney, Taking a tram to anywhere, or learning how to mix a drink you have never had before.

    How cool is this?
    Read more