Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Day 58: Sydney (Day 2)

    February 18 in Australia ⋅ 🌩️ 81 °F

    Day 2 in Sydney was great! Last night they moved the Neptune to another location, only to find a ship from another cruise line had taken our premier spot. Nevertheless, life goes on. We took the shuttle, a ferry, another ferry, and a bit of a walk, climb up a bunch streets, and snuk through some hidden passage ways, we made it to the bottom of Bridge Stairs - only to climb some more to get to the walkway to walk across.

    We walked across the bridge to Milsons Point at the same level which the traffic goes over. The passageway was vey safe and the walk across was not too bad. Some people were adventurous and did the climb up the arch to the very top - and paid to do it.

    On the other side there is a nice little amusement park called “Luna Park” (see scary clown pics) and a wonderful view of the city. We took the ferry back to Quay Circle. Then took the ferry out to Manly with the goal of finding the beach, find fish & chips, and a nice Pale Ale.

    On the ferry ride over to Manly a couple of the locals were more than happy to chat up with us. Giving us some clues where to go and a couple of tips. One lady (see pic) said “Be careful the birds will take your fish & chips right out of your hand.” It was a fun ride over because of the happen chance to talk with a couple of locals who were more than kind. They asked questions about our cruise and Viking - of course we told them we are treated like royalty and not sure how we will handle real life when we get back to the states - We will need to hire staff - The lady without hesitation said “I’m available, I’ll move to America” - the gentleman said “Yes, and I get my 10% for brokering the deal.” Mind you these two folks didn’t know each other either. We were busting up laughing most of the ferry ride over.

    The ferry ride to Manly was about 25 minutes. We got a really nice view of North & South Head - the entrance to the Bay. The various private excursions we go on are nice. Special times often happen when we meet up with a complete stranger(s) local or other traveler’s and you just have a nice little chat.

    We got to Manly. Donna headed us to the Information building where Paul got a “Manly Map!” We got pointed towards the beach and found “The Pantry” an excellent restaurant directly on the beach. Strangely enough it was on the second story of the public toilets. The fish & chips were excellent. This is where we met up with a group younger travelers.

    Garth (from South Africa) was wearing an interesting watch - prompted Paul to ask about it. A Garmin which completely interfaces with iPhone. I need to do some research about the watch. Also, Amanda (from Brazil) a lovely lady - very chic and fashionable with a James Bond mystique.

    But, wait, then there is Tyran … but is that his real name? I had given them our FindPenguins card - “Tyran” hands me his business card …. “Business Development - Enhancing Global Supply Chains” — We are pretty sure that is a cover for some sort of clandestine operation - and Garth is clearly Tyran’s muscle/body guard.

    Again, it is these synergetic events which make traveling fun and memorable. Along with the new relationships we continue to make with fellow Neptune travelers - Even if we do have a hard time remembering your names - It’s moments like today which will be in our story and mythology of journey around the world.

    On the way back from Manly we saw a wonderful water show of fire boats shooting water into the sky. How cool?

    By now it is getting late - Donna’s getting concerned - we take three ferry’s to get back to Kings Point - to breathe a huge sigh of relief when we found the big red Viking umbrella and faces we recognized from the ship - We hadn’t missed the last ferry. Phew!

    We ended the day with the Neptune going under the Sydney bridge, following another cruise ship both navigated by pilot tug boats - watched the pilot jump back onto the tug - and made our way through North & South Head.

    Morris & I ended up chatting away on Deck 7 - had dinner at the World Cafe - the ladies were on their own - I think it was nice to have a guys night - then we hit the show by classical guitarist Tom Ward. Even if you do not like classical guitar music it is totally amazing to watch him move all 10 fingers in different directions doing different things at the same time. His father made his guitar from wood on his property when he was cutting the trees down to build his (the father’s) home. Clearly Tom’s father is a master craftsman. And he a master musician.

    A great day with my wife, my fellow Neptune traveller’s, Australian locals, other traveler’s, even an under world spy - “Tyron Bond.”
    Read more